Social media can be an effective and powerful tool when you’re searching for your lost cat. Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter are popular and useful social media sites that will work well when integrated into your search campaign to spread the word of your lost cat. Find Lost Cat has put together the following step-by-step instructions on how to utilize these social media outlets to help you recover your lost cat.
Notifying your Facebook friends that your cat is lost will make them aware of your situation, have them keep an eye out, and most importantly, offer emotional support. When your cat is lost, uploading a photo of your cat onto social media sites is ideal, so we will instruct you on how to do so.
How to Post Your Missing Cat on Facebook
1) Start by going to www.facebook.com.
2) If you do not already have a Facebook account, create one. If you do have a Facebook account, go ahead and login.
3) Select “Add Photo/Video” at the top of the page.
4) Select “Upload Photo/Video”
5) Select “Choose File”
6) Navigate your computer to find the photo you wish to upload. Try to choose one that shows your cat’s features and is as clear as possible. Try to avoid using a blurry photograph. However, any photo is better than no photo.
7) Once your photo is uploaded, add your text to the post. Consider posting something like,
“Hi everybody, I would like to bring it to your attention that my beloved cat, Munchies, has recently gone missing. Munchies is a shy, male, beige tabby with brown stripes, as seen in the picture below. If you hear or see anything about him, please let me know! Thank you!”
8) After inserting your message, select “Post,” and you’re done!
Additional Tips for Using Facebook to Find Your Cat
Keep the video post short so people won’t get bored and exit without reading your description.
If you’re savvy at video editing, consider adding a clip of yourself giving the lost cat information in the video.
Some people prefer watching a video to reading and this will help get your message out there one way or another. If you go this route, be sure to still include the written post describing the situation that your cat is lost next to the video. The goal here is to get as much exposure to your message as possible.
You may post additional posts as often as you’d like, although we recommend not to exceed posting that your cat is lost more than every other day. If you are flooding people’s news feeds with lost cat posts, even if your intentions are good, they will likely get more annoyed than concerned. Additionally, make sure to inform your Facebook friends when you have found your lost cat. They’ll revel in your success!
If you do have a decent video as described above, consider posting it on YouTube as well. Again, keep the video short. Include your lost cat information in the video and post it on the page under your video as well. Once you post your video on YouTube, go on to “Share” your lost cat video to all of your friends and followers across all of your other social media profiles.
If you do decide to utilize Twitter, we’ve provided you with some step-by-step instructions on how to successfully post.
How to Post Your Missing Cat on Twitter
1) Start out by going to twitter.com.
2) If you do not already have a Twitter account, go ahead and sign up for one. If you do, login.
3) Select “Compose new Tweet” on the left-hand side of your homepage.
4) Type in the message you wish to display to your Twitter followers. If you’re not sure what to type, consider something along the following lines:
“My beloved cat Munchies is missing! He is a shy, beige tabby with brown stripes. Please let me know if you hear anything! Thanks.”
5) Click “Tweet” and you’re all done!
As with Facebook, you can post again that you cat is lost, just make sure not to post TOO much. However, on Twitter it is appropriate to post once a day, and at some times more. Use your own discretion wisely. Please reach out to us if you have any questions.
Utilizing social media tools can be very effective in your efforts to recover your lost cat. We hope these step-by-step instructions on how to utilize social media outlets will help you to better search for your loved feline.